Fight for Your Rights in a Chicago Area Auto Accident

Kane County Car Accident Lawyer

If you or a loved one has been injured in an automobile that was caused due to the negligence of another person, you may be entitled to collect compensation for your injuries. Be sure that you have strong representation from an experienced personal injury attorney who knows the law and will fight to protect your rights.

For over 23 years, people throughout Kane County and the Chicago suburbs have turned to the law firm of Scott W. Sheen & Associates, P.C. for aggressive and thorough representation in all types of motor vehicle accidents. To learn more about our personal injury services and how we can help you contact us today at 630-443-6200.

Compensation for Car Crash Injuries

When injuries are sustained due to an automobile accident, the individuals involved can seek monetary compensation to cover the cost of medical bills, injuries, lost wages, and other damages incurred. An experienced attorney can help you sort through the information and determine the best way to get compensation for your injuries according to state laws and insurance policies. The lawyers at Scott W Sheen and Associates keep current with all federal, state of Illinois, county, and city laws with regards to auto accidents.

Depending on the state and the insurance carrier, the injured party can seek compensation for many accident-related things, including but not limited to the following:

  • physical injuries
  • current and long term medical bills for accident related injuries
  • physical therapy
  • rehabilitation
  • lost wages
  • property damage
  • mental suffering due to the accident (this can be difficult to prove without an attorney and records)*
  • permanent physical disfigurements
  • further damage to existing injuries*

* Keeping personal and doctor records is important when dealing with insurance companies. Documentation can prove that an injury was related to the auto accident. Lack of documentation can be an excuse for an insurance company not to pay for something.

Loss of Consortium – Compensation for Dependents

This refers to the loss that a spouse or other dependent may experience due to an auto accident even if they were not in the vehicle at the time of the accident. Most states recognize the loss of consortium, which can include monetary support, companionship, or any physical, mental, monetary, etc. support that was provided by the injured person.

Auto Insurance Claims Payouts

Usually, the driver’s auto insurance pays the injured party. However, in the case that the driver was not insured or was not insured well enough to cover the damages that were caused, the injured party may have to seek other means of compensation. In this case, even with their own insurance policy, it is best to contact an attorney, like those at Scott W. Sheen and Associates to determine the best course of action.

Car Insurance Claims

How you make an auto insurance claim has a lot to do with the compensations that you receive. It is best to contact an experienced attorney to ensure the greatest compensation, like those at Scott W. Sheen and Associates.

Recommended Actions:

  • Contact an attorney to discuss your options
  • Immediately notify your insurance company of an accident or vehicle theft or damage.
  • Photograph the auto accident, vehicle damage, or personal injuries
  • Keep receipts for anything related to your auto accident. This can include medical bills, car rentals, auto repairs, etc.
  • Take notes of the names, job titles, dates and times from conversations with auto insurance representatives. Be sure to record what was discussed.
  • Be honest with your insurance company. This increases your chances of receiving the highest compensation possible.
  • Review your insurance policy, know what is covered and what is not covered.
  • Check out your auto, homeowners, or other insurance policies to determine whether anything you may not have thought of will cover the damages incurred.
  • If you haven’t completely paid for your vehicle (loan, lease, or buy), know how much you owe and how much you have paid. If you owe more than the current cash value of your vehicle and it has been totaled, car insurance will not pay more than the current cash value. Gap coverage will usually cover the difference, but know your auto insurance policy.

Do not do the following:

  • Don’t immediately accept an insurance company’s estimate for your losses and damages. Contact an attorney, and research the matter yourself to ensure you receive the best compensation possible.
  • It is important to make sure you understand your insurance policies and have determined the best choice for your family before you commit to anything in writing with your insurance company.Your best option is to contact an experienced attorney, like those at at Scott W. Sheen and Associates to discuss your options.

If You’re in an Accident…

At the Scene…

  1. In most states, it is a crime to leave the scene of a vehicle accident. If you were involved in the accident, pull over to the side of the road.
  2. If you have passengers, see if any of them are injured. If other vehicles were involved, determine if any of their passengers were injured. If so, call an ambulance. Do not try to move an injured person.
  3. To prevent further injury, put out road flares, turn on your hazard lights, and make your vehicle visible to others.
  4. Call the police. Some states require this by law, but the police can determine whether or not they need to be there.
  5. Exchange information with the other driver. This includes:
    Phone number
    License plate number
    Drivers license number
    Auto insurance information
    Do NOT admit fault. This will be determined later and can affect your insurance claims.
    Do NOT accept offers by the other driver or insurance companies at this time.
  6. Try and get information from anyone who witnessed the accident.
  7. Make notes of what happened, how the accident occurred, weather conditions, your speed, etc.
  8. When the police arrive, cooperate, provide them with information, and be honest, but do not admit fault or blame others. It can be helpful to have the business cards of the police officers who come to the scene, and to ask for the incident number, so that you can look up who was there and what was recorded. This can also help your insurance company.
  9. When the police tell you it is okay to leave the scene, you may.

After the Accident…

  1. If you have any pain, it is best to see a doctor and keep a record of it. An injury that may not seem serious at first can often change, and it is very helpful with insurance claims if there is a clear record of the progression of injuries. An insurance company can argue that by not seeing a doctor, your injury was worsened, and therefore they are not responsible for the medical costs.
  2. Contact an attorney. It is best not to accept any money from insurance or other drivers before contacting an attorney, and to bring all records of the accident and money spent due to the accident to your lawyer.

The experienced attorneys at Scott W. Sheen and Associates in St. Charles, Illinois will help you sort through your information and determine the best way to work with your insurance company.

Contact us at 630-443-6200 today for a free consultation!

How can we help today?

Talk with a skilled lawyer about your case. Call us at 630-443-6200 or send us a message for a response by the end of the next business day.